EC Regulation on Flavourings

From 20th January 2011, the Regulation on Flavourings will no longer be defined under (EU) 88/388 but fall under directive (EC) 1334/2008.

From 20th January 2011, the Regulation on Flavourings will no longer be defined under (EU) 88/388 but fall under directive (EC) 1334/2008.

On 16th December 2008 the European Parliament and council signed the FIAP (Food Improvement Agents Package) which includes the Regulation on Flavourings.
It was published on the 31st of December 2008.

The nature and scope of the changes for Synergy customers will be very limited and a transition period has been included that gives 24 months for those changes required to be completed.

Contrary to recent publicity the new Regulation makes no changes to the definition of 'Natural Flavourings'


Further interpretive advice is expected to be available shortly and Synergy will then provide all necessary help to work through this new legislation over the coming 2 years.

What are the changes?


The definitions of flavouring preparations, process flavouring, smoke flavourings and 3 categories of flavouring substances - natural, nature identical (NI) and artificial will change. This will have a limited impact on your business:-


1. There will be no change to "natural flavouring".


2. The terms nature identical (NI) or artificial flavourings substances will no longer exist and they will be defined as flavouring substances.


3. Natural "named" flavourings i.e. "natural strawberry flavouring" will have to be at least 95% from the actual source i.e. strawberry. The remainder 5% must be natural and should be used to modify or standardise
the flavour i.e. adding a "green" note to a "natural strawberry flavouring.". The 5% must not reflect the flavour (i.e. strawberry).


4. Process flavourings will have "thermal" added.


5. Smoke flavourings can now be declared as being from a source i.e. "smoke flavouring from x"


6. Flavour precursor is a new category and covers process type flavourings which when added to a product reacts with or breaks down to add or modify the flavour in the application.


7. "Other flavourings" will include other flavourings which do not fall into any other categories i.e.Grill.


Will there be any changes to specification sheets?


From 20th January 2009 you will find some changes to your Synergy specification sheets. Nature identical or artificial flavouring substances will be referred to as flavouring substances. Natural flavouring will not
change. An example of the changes to the specification sheets will be sent out in the post.


How does this affect Synergy’s finished product labelling?


Labelling of "natural flavouring" remains the same.
Should you be buying any Natural "named" flavouring i.e. "natural strawberry flavouring" they will have to be made 95% from the actual source i.e. strawberry. The remainder 5% must be natural and should only be used to modify or standardise the flavour i.e. adding a "green" note to a "natural strawberry flavouring." The 5% must not reflect the flavour (i.e.strawberry).


If the flavouring has less than 95% of the named fruit from source material and is easily recognisable, the flavouring is labelled as "natural strawberry flavouring with other natural flavourings."

How long is the transition period?


From 20th January 2009, the industry has 24 months to comply. The new regulations will be enforced from 20th January 2011. Consultation from BEMA, EFFA and The Food Standards Agency will be ongoing during this period.


What is the positive list of ingredients?


A Community List of positive ingredients has been established by the EU and assessment for their safety is ongoing.

The completion date has passed (July 2005) and is still yet to be finally determined. The list is expected to contain in excess of 2,000 flavouring substances. Only substances on this list will be permitted for use by flavour companies as raw materials.

If you would like more information or guidance, please do not hesitate to contact your account manager or customer services +44 (0) 1494 492222.

Call Back